Environmental Policy and Systems
Policy and Systems
The Marubeni Group promotes environmental considerations in its own business operations under the leadership of the CSR & Environment Committee. The Marubeni Group Environmental Policy was established in 1998 as the embodiment of the Marubeni Group's firm commitment to environmental conservation.
Marubeni Group Environmental Policy (revised in April, 2016)
In full awareness of its responsibilities as a good corporate citizen, the Marubeni Group will make every effort to simultaneously pursue both a prosperous society and environmental conservation, while aiming to achieve the sustainable development of society.
As a global corporate entity that engages in diverse business activities across a broad range of sectors, the Marubeni Group will apply the Environmental Management System to all the activities, services and products of the Marubeni Group, and observe the following principles it has established for environmental conservation.
- All business activities will be conducted in consideration of their possible impact on the environment. To this end, appropriate efforts will be made in cooperation with stakeholders to preserve the environment and reduce potential environmental impacts, including efficient use of resources, prevention of pollution and taking appropriate steps to address climate change and protect biodiversity, focusing on the four themes below:
- (1)Compliance with international and local applicable environmental guidelines, laws and regulations, and agreed requirements;
- (2)Taking measures as necessary to reduce environmental impacts and prevent pollution, particularly in launching new projects and altering existing projects;
- (3)Facilitating resource and energy conservation*1, waste reduction, green procurement, and increases in operational efficiency;*2
- (4)Promoting business projects, offering products and services, technical development and building social systems that help protect and improve the environment.
- In keeping with this Environmental Policy, the Marubeni Group’s Environmental Management System will be regularly reviewed to improve our environmental performance, fully conscious of the importance to comply with its requirements.
- This Environmental Policy will be shared with all Marubeni Group officers and employees, employees of the Group’s business partners, and the public.
- *1“Energy conservation” in 1. (3) includes energy conservation in business facilities and logistics.
- *2The Marubeni Group will conduct appropriate maintenance for “resource and energy conservation, waste reduction” and “increases in operational efficiency” in 1. (3).
The Marubeni Group Multi-site Certificated Subsidiaries
The Marubeni Group in this Policy includes Marubeni Corporation and the subsidiaries listed below:
- Marubeni Corporation
- Marubeni Information Systems Co., Ltd.
- Marubeni Power Systems Corporation
- Marubeni Chemix Corporation
- Marubeni Plax Corporation
- Marubeni Mates Ltd.
- Yamaboshiya Co., Ltd.
- Marubeni Pulp & Paper Co., Ltd.
- Marubeni Service Corporation
- Marubeni Paper Recycle Co., Ltd.
- *We shall publish the Marubeni Group Multi-site Certificated Subsidiaries list together with the Marubeni Group Environmental Policy at all times.
Environmental Management System (EMS)
Marubeni has introduced an environmental management system (EMS) based on ISO 14001 as a tool to assist all employees in addressing environmental issues based on a common understanding.
Marubeni obtained ISO 14001 certification in 1998. Since then, one overseas corporate subsidiary and other Marubeni Group companies have obtained certification as needed. As of September 30, 2015, 57 Marubeni Group companies have been certified.
The EMS utilizes a PDCA cycle to ensure ongoing improvement. The cycle includes planning, implementation and operation, inspection, management and review of environmental measures.
Five Environmental Objectives
The Marubeni Group pursues the five objectives below in accordance with the Marubeni Group Environmental Policy in order to help to protect the environment and to reduce the environmental impact caused by its business activities.
- Thoroughly implement environmental considerations when promoting projects
- Expand initiatives with business partners who consider environmental aspects
- Promote environmental consideration among Group companies
- Promote environmental businesses
- Conserve energy and natural resources, and reduce waste